Chantal Young and Shivam Vinayak were on cloud 9 at the just ended 2012 Annual Motor Sports Awards.
Shivam was named the motor personality of the year after clinching the Enduro overall and 125cc titles, FIM Central African Motocross Championship and the National Motocross MX1 Championship title for the fourth year running. He however lost in his bid to retain the National Rally Raid diadem which he had won in 2011.
Chantal won the Ladies Rose Bowl for her antics as an all rounder as well as winning the Classic Car Cup navigators' title.
"Wow!! Winning the Classic Car Cup navigators' championship was amazing, then I go and win the Ladies Rose Bowl for 2012!! Words cannot explain how honoured I am to have won this award and will treasure the moment for ever! And I couldn't have done it without my family, pushing me and watching over me. There is just one person who I wish was still here to watch me getting that award but I know she was watching me from up there. Special thanks to my family and friends for all the support. My success has never been solo. there is a very strong team behind me and I am extremely thankful to them," said Chantal.
Shivam was all smiles: "Last season was a great one for me once again. I felt very strong throughout the year and god kept me fit and injury free.
When i saw my name as a nominee for motor sportsman of the year. I had a good feeling. I knew I had a great chance this year as i had a near perfect 2012, and i have had a very consistent last 4 years. To eventually land the trophy and title of motor sportsman of the year, is something very hard to explain. it is a special feeling and a feeling of true victory. My name has been put down in history and its a very special feeling. The awards ceremony was one to remember for me. the standing applause I got for the big award was very special. I even forgot to eat lunch as i was so excited!!"
Meanwhile, Five of the Abdul Sidi Rally Academy students took centre stage at the KMSF Awards ceremony, hardly two years since the institution was introduced to develop young talents in the sport of rallying. Former head-boy and one of the first-ever students of the rally school, Riyaz Ismail, was presented 2012 Rally Raid Championship Buggy Navigator Champion - Riyaz Ismail, James Harrion Mwangi received the trophy for the 2012 Kenya National Two Wheel Drive Rally Champion Navigator. Kisumu's Gugu Panesar was presented with a trophy for winning the Division Three of the Kenya National Rally Championship. He also received the William Kimaru Memorial for the Most Improved Co-driver. The John Ngunjiri Memorial for the Most Consistent Crew went to Patrick Kibara and Joel. Mwachuya.
"ASRA is proud of its students as it continues to introduce new talents in the sport, thus at the same time, expand the Kenya National Rally Championship to another level for services that are provided for Free of Charge. On behalf of the ASRA Family, congratulations to the Awards Winners. Nothing can deny the fruits of your hard work. Well done once again," said Abdul Sidi.
THOSE WHO WERE FETED::::
NATIONAL MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP
1. MX50 Champion - Jesse Waithaka
2. MX65 Champion - Rolf Kihara
3. MX85 Champion- Samir Anwar
4. MX125 Champion - Apollo Mbuki
5. MX 2 Champion - Tutu Maina
6. MX 1 Champion - Shivam Vinayak
NATIONAL ENDURO CHAMPIONSHIP
7. 2012 Enduro Champion - Quad Category - Shazar Anwar
8. 125 cc Enduro Champion - Shivam Vinayak
9. National Overall Enduro Champion - Shivam Vinayak
NATIONAL AUTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP
10. Autocross Champion - Kyle Lucas
11. Autocross Champion - Under 24 years - Charles Mugo
KENYA NATIONAL RALLY RAID CHAMPIONSHIP
12. Motor Car Driver- Nish Lakhani
13. Motor Car Category Champion
14. Navigator -Teeku Patel
15. Motorcycle Champion - Sean Wilcock
16. Quad Champion Shazar Anwar
17. Buggy Champion - Tejas Hirani
18. Buggy Navigator Champion- - Riyaz Ismail
19. New Overall Champion - Sean Wilcock
KCB KENYA NATIONAL RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP
20. 2WD Champion Navigator: James Mwangi
2WD Champion Driver: Nadeem Khan
21. 2012 KCB Classic Car Cup Rally Champion Navigator: Chantal Young
22. Classic Car Cup Rally Champion Driver: Aslam Khan
23. SPV Champion Navigator-Teeku Patel
24. SPV Champion Diver-Nish Lakhani
25. Group S Rally Champion Navigator - Ravi Chana
26. KNRC Champion Navigator -Tim Jessop
27. KNRC Champion Driver -Carl "Flash" Tundo
THE 2012 MERIT AWARDS
28.Neil Granger Brown - Most Improved Motorcycle competitor:
27.Most Improved Autocross Competitor: Eugene Maina
29.John Ngunjiri Memorial - Most consistent crew: Patrick Kibaara/Julius Mwachuya
30.Tanveer Alam Memorial - Most Improved Rally Driver: Jassi Chatthe
31.William Kimaru Memorial - Most 29. Improved Co-driver: Gugu Panesar
32.Mike Vaughan Ryall Memorial - best rally organisation: Nanyuki Rally Group - Nanyuki
33.Johnny Hellier Memorial - Contribution to Motorsport: Nazir Yakub
34.Kulwant Singh Chana Memorial - media contribution: Citizen TV
35. Ladies Rose Bowl - Most meritorious Lady competitor: Chantal Young
36.Motor Sports Personality of the Year-Shivam Vinayak