With the annual Rhino Charge only four months away, chargers have an ideal opportunity to try out their machines well in advance as the Athi 4X4 Challenge heads to Swara Plains Conservancy- a stone throw from Nairobi this Sunday.
Quite a number of rally drivers have signed up with Ben Muchemi alias "Baba Chiru" entering for the challenge in his "Kenya Juu" 110 Rand Rover in the Safaricom/KRT team livery.
Nakuru based rally champion Carl "Flash" Tundo is set to make his debut in off road teritory and has entered a Mitsubishi Pajero. He renews his rivalry with legendary WRC Safari winner Ian Duncan and John Kanyali from Diani.
Kanyali is known for his crowd- pleasing Mercedes Unimog and is back to showcase his uncanny knack, this time, in a Jeep.
Kanyali, who built the Jeep in his back yard, explains the attractions of the event for the competitors, “It promises to be fantastic fun and gives us the opportunity to try out our cars before this year’s Rhino Charge – we would rather break something in Athi River than in the middle of the bundu! The only problem is that with this amount of spectators there will be plenty of opportunity to mess up in front of a big crowd – thrills and spills are guaranteed!”
Kanyali who has won five 4X4 competitions in Lukenya will certainly be put to the test in the Expert category, although those who wish to enter their unmodified 4x4s can enter the Intermediate category for guaranteed fun without the risk of damaging their cars.
According to organisers Phil Tilley and Gray Cullen, action starts at 10am and ends at 5pm.
Organisers have also received quad bike entries from Vincent Boulanger and Alexis Boulanger. Vincent is rejoicing in victory which he achieved in Naro Moru during Ganatra/JCB Rally Raid.
The venue to the 4X4 Challenge is approximately 5 kilometres past Athi River on Mombasa Road towards Machakos junction and will be well sign-posted from the road, said Cullen.
It's located just off the Mombasa Road in the small world country club entrance opposite Lukenya and Daystar University.
At the same time, Cullen said that full catering and entertainment have been planned and the organisers are also working on inviting stall owners to sell their wares during the Event.
1. Ian Duncan - Land cruiser with Unimog Axles
2. John Kanyali - Unimog
3. Alex Gibbs - Mud Monster Toyota Surf hybrid
4. Mahesh Bhatti - Land Rover 90
5. Carl Tundo - Pajero Mitsubishi
6. Vincent Boulanger - Quad Bike entry
7. Alexis Boulanger - Quad Bike Entry
8. Ian Henderson - Range Rover
9. Himal Pindolia - Range Rover
10. Peter Kiguru - Range Rover
11. Jasrag Singh - Range Rover
12. Harveet Singh - Land Rover 90
13. Rizwan Jiwani - Toyota Land Cruiser
14. Satveer Sethi - Range Rover
15. Shasa Corcoran - Junior entry Toyota
16. Sala Corcoran - Junior Entry Toyota
17. Dipak Halai - Land Rover 110
18. Ajitesh Kapoor - Land Rover
19. Ashwin Gidoomal - Range Rover
20. Gurmeet Mehta - Range Rover
21. Louis Kabbani - Mitsubishi Pajero
22. Richard Baudry - Range Rover on Volvo Portals
23. Mark Allan - Land Rover 110
24. Anoop Haria - Toyota Land Cruiser
25. Jonathan Bovard - Suzuki hybrid